Sunday 13 September 2015

First Week

Dear Area 24 families,

We had a great first week in Room 211. I've quickly been getting to know my new students and they've been settling in quickly to our new routines. I've been wanting to share details from the first few days, but didn't want to clutter up the blog before you had a chance to explore all the beginning of the year posts. If you haven't had a chance to sift through all the information (I know, it's a lot), don't worry. Nothing ever gets erased, just archived. If what you're looking for is not below, just click on the Archives at the bottom.

Thank you for all the mail! I already received lots of letters and forms, which I've very much enjoyed reading. If you haven't yet had a chance, please do try to to send all of that stuff in soon. I love and always look forward to reading those first day letters from you! Once I have everyone's media forms, I'll know if I can begin posting pictures here so that you can feel even more a part of our school day.

In my letter to you, I was not sure of our gym days. This was updated in the online version. We have gym 4 out of 10 days and on other days we will either have dance or DPA. A few students have already brought running shoes to school to leave in our bin. This is a great idea! Some students have also brought a little bag of extra clothes to leave on their hook - also a great idea!

As you know, Dewson provides a morning snack to all primary students. Snack program will begin this Wednesday. Please make sure your student knows if they may also eat something from their lunch bag, or if they should save something for the afternoon. It's a good idea to check in now and then to see if they are getting hungry near the end of the day. In the past I've had children begging me for food at afternoon recess! On behalf of the school, thank you for your advance donations to the snack program.

This week we have established all kids of routines for our class. We know how to empty and pack our bags, where to put notes for me, where to line up after recess and where the safe places to play in the school yard are. We have practiced what we do in the case of a fire alarm and we have worked on including others during free time and recess. We discuss our 4 class rules regularly (ask your student what they are) and I have seen amazing listening behaviour from everyone in the class. Keep up the great work!

In French this week, I have learned about what everyone really likes and we are already experts at recognizing the letter 'a'. We began reviewing our printing skills, including a comfortable pencil grip (more important than we tend to think) and forming letters neatly. If you have a chance to watch your child write at home, try to encourage them to start their letters at the top, the way they are practicing at school. This will help them form good habits.

Don't forget, we get new Words of the Week every TUESDAY. Please help your child make sure their cahier is in their pochette Tuesday so that we can glue down our next set of words. (And thanks for jumping right into this routine, the kids tell me they've already started practising!)

In math,we are getting started with some counting activities. At home, you can review French numbers by asking your student to count various sets aloud in French (ex. Can you count how many juice boxes are left in French?)

Finally, sorry about the confusion with entry at the beginning of last week. We are the only grade 1 class that goes to the second floor, and many of you probably remember that my class used to line up at the north doors. Your student knows where our line up spot is for the morning and every recess. We will always enter and dismiss under the overhang.

If you need to contact me at any time, email is the best way to reach me. Don't forget the in tamara.mitchell2@tdsb.on.ca (there is a principal by the same name).

See you tomorrow,
Tamara