Tuesday 4 September 2012

Day 1: Success!

Hello Grade 1 parents!

We made it through the first day! I expect pick-up will continue to take a bit of time until I get to know who belongs to who. You can help by coming right up to the door and reminding me who you are taking with you! If your child goes to daycare, please talk to them about their meeting spot. I will continue to stay with them until they feel confident going with their buddies at the daycare. If there are any routines that you feel I should know about (lunch/pick-up) please write me a note so that I don't forget!

Unfortunately it rained ALL day, so we had 3 indoor recesses. This means that I wasn't able to take the kids outside to remind them of where the safe play areas are, and where they line up. We will always line up right against the wall by the North doors, where we met this morning. This is also where you can pick-up.

Please make sure you ask for the communication folder tonight! It's yellow, and full of important notes for you! As explained in my Newsletter, this will go home every afternoon, and should come back every morning. The agenda can be kept at home (see other post).

This afternoon we discussed the four rules for Area 24, which are also included in your First Day Newsletter. These are: I listen, I participate (I try), I am respectful, I say thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to talk about what these look like at home - we had lots of examples of good behaviour today. Plenty of students helped clean up after recess (even when it wasn't their activity), many helped open packages for others at lunch, many shared markers (we talked about how this is part of the "being nice" rule), and some started taking responsibility for their class job. In particular, I was impressed with how quietly we walked through the halls on the way to music this morning. We have to make sure we are very quiet EVERY time we walk through the school, as rooms on the first floor do not have doors!

Today we also did some counting (how many girls/boys are in our class? how many markers are in your box? how many bins of materials are there?), we decorated hall tags with our name and a picture, we read a story, sang some songs, and lots more. Each student selected their own desk. We will change places often, but for now I'm happy so long as everyone is able to listen from the spot they selected. Everyone also received a box with same basic writing and art supplies. This will stay in their desk, and anything they bring from home can live in there too.

I promise there won't always be so much reading in one night, but please take the time to read my other posts with beginning of the year information! I look forward to another great day tomorrow!

Have a great night,
Tamara