Saturday 10 February 2018

Science!

Dear families,

As expected, we had a fabulous science workshop Thursday morning. Scientist in School presenters never fail to amaze me with the organization of their programs, their ability to connect with the age range, their materials and their well-planned, hands-on activities.
I hope you have already had a chance to ask your scientist about all the centres they went to, and what they did. Below, I have posted tons of pictures with some info about each centre so you can start a conversation, if you like. Check them out! Thanks again to our volunteer science teachers - you worked hard, to everyone for being on time, and to Scientist Janet, for facilitating this program for us.

Thanks for returning those interview forms so promptly. I will get time confirmations to you early next week. If you do not receive a confirmation from me, it is because I have not received a form back from you, and I'm assuming you do not feel a meeting is necessary at this point. Please remember that we can always chat on the phone or meet in person at any time throughout the rest of the year. Please don't hesitate to contact me.

I do need to take a minute to touch on our borrow-a-book program. From my view, I see the kids enjoying it, and being SO proud to stamp a star in their reading log.
However, it has come to my attention that, for some, the borrow-a-book program has not been the fun, pain-free experience that I had intended it to be. My understanding was that I was jumping on board the existing kindergarten train, and I know that past kg teachers have done daily book exchange. However, let's reduce it to once a week, which is what the current JKs do. From now on I will do mass book exchange on the last day of the school week (usually Fridays).
If you have established and have been enjoying the routine of reading in French on a daily basis, and would like to continue in this way, PLEASE email me and let me know. I am more than happy to facilitate this.

I should also review a few things:
- It's normal for your child to not be reading right now. My personal goal is for our students to know their French letters and sounds by the end of the school year. We're not done working on this.
This routine is not intended to take up much time. I think my suggestion was 5-10 minutes. If you want to do more, go for it! If you want to do less, do less! If you don't want to do it at all, fine - there's no at-school consequence! You are the at-home teacher, and you know what's best.
- This routine is meant to be enjoyable for both students and parents. Goodness, I don't want to add any stress to your lives - I know how busy evenings are! I'm simply offering a way of building that home-school connection, and providing you with the resources to read with your child in the language of instruction.

If these points were not clear in my pink note, on the blog or in my little curriculum night talk, then I sincerely apologize. This is intended to be a positive initiative that builds responsibility, helps parents be involved, and reinforces the literacy work that we are doing at school. I don't feel like I'd be doing my job if I didn't encourage this, and I do try to get the kids excited about it. However, it is always up to you to manage your at-home time the way you see fit. As always, please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns.

Alright... I have MANY pictures from our super-fun science workshop...

Centre: Meteorology
We learned about thermometers and how to use them. We watched the temperature change as we put the thermometer in hot water and cold water. We made pretend clouds and made it rain, measuring the rain in a rain gauge. We also learned what it takes to make a rainbow, tried to make an anemometer move with wind, and spun up our own tornados in a cool little toy.

Centre: Paleontology
We made our own casting of a dinosaur, using plaster. We made fossil rubbings, matched up dinosaurs with their skeletons, and dug for dinosaur bones in sand. We also got to look at some real fossils and shark teeth... I think.

Centre: Marine Biology
We made a fish print using a rubber fish and paint. We learned about flounder, how they move and why both eyes are on one side of their head. We looked at and touched lots of shells, and some starfish. We also learned a bit about orcas.

Centre: Chemistry
In test tubes, we mixed brown sugar with water and sand with water. We noticed the difference: sand sat at the bottom, while the sugar dissolved, forming a solution. We mixed baking soda with vinegar and witnessed the chemical reaction. It was super fun wearng lab coats and safety glasses and using measuring spoons and droppers to measure out the different ingredients!


Centre: Astronomy
We learned about constellations, including the big dipper and the little dipper. We got to view some constellations in a special "star tent" and designed our own constellations. We also learned about the North Star and how to find north using a compass.