Thursday 25 January 2018

Scientist in School

Hi parents,

I want to start off by bragging about an amazing thing that happened in our class yesterday. I was slow getting to the carpet for our poem time. I usually choose leaders and recite the poems along with the kids, however, Dominique and I were still helping with shoes. Instead of sitting around waiting, some leaders emerged from the group that was already there and they started reciting poems on their own. When one poem ended, they would choose another leader and continue. They knew ALL the words! I was amazed. I simply went and sat down on the carpet and joined in with them. I told them how proud I was, and they told me that I could feel free to go get snack ready and they would just keep doing poems without me! Hahaha! So I did, and they did! Bravo tout le monde!

Another cool thing... for a week now, we've been practicing the song "Frère Jacques", not just as a class, but in 2 groups as a round! We got to be preeeetttty good at it, if I do say so myself. This afternoon, we surprised Mr. Greene with a special performance of it. He was so impressed that he thought we were in grade 3, and challenged us to try it in 4 parts!!

We also started learning a new song that we will perform at the kindergarten concert (March sometime, I think) and a school assembly (April). The song is about friendship, and will be very fitting for Pink Day, which is what our assembly will focus on. It's a song by Céline Dion and is quite long, so we will do a greatly reduced version. However, if you'd like to listen to it at home, you can find it here.

Today, you are receiving a blue note explaining that we will soon have a visit from a Scientist in Schools presenter. We will participate in a half day workshop including about 5 different experiment centres ranging from chemistry to astronomy to paleontology. We need some parents to help lead centres. Don't worry, you don't need to be a scientist to be our science teacher! The visiting scientist will explain everything you need to know. If you're able to join us for the morning of February 8th, please return the slip or email me. This amazing workshop costs $8 per child. Please send this in by next Friday and ensure that a name accompanies the money. Thanks!!

Sometimes, kids wonder things out loud, and it gives us ideas for new centres we should set up. Many months ago, Noa wondered out loud what would happen "if we mixed ALL the colours together in milk". It's been on my mind ever since. Today, we set up a colour mixing station (using water instead of milk... in case of spills). First, students made a note of the colours they wanted to mix, and then they put 2 drops of each colour into their water. We had a selection of 7 colours to mix with. Whatever the result, they tried to find a pencil crayon to match in order to document their findings. Some students, who had an unidentifiable colour, made up a new name for their colour... such as "Swamp-speed" or "Halloween Bats".

This week, I've also added some new pages to our printing duotangs. Many students were very excited to finally have more to work on. On the new pages, there's printing, but there's also room to write and draw words for each letter. Some students have been incredibly independent by looking around the room, using the word wall, posters, bins or books to find words to add. Malaika and August have shared some good tips for how to help yourself find words on your own, and students have helped each other understand words that they have already learned. Bien fait mes amis!

Mots de la Semaine
Ahh! I just realized I forgot to post words last week!
I'll give you an extra challenge this week. Can you review the words to the chorus of our new song?
“Si c’est ton ami, dis-lui qu’il chante
et puis chante avec lui.
La la la...
L'amitié c'est le plus beau pays.”