Monday 8 January 2018

Happy New Year!

Welcome back, we missed you!
The kids seem to have grown up a bit in the short time that we were away, and impressed us this morning by getting out of their snowsuits and into their gym shoes with zero help from me (I undid a single zipper)!!

A special package was waiting for us when we arrived at school today. Papa Noël wrote us a long letter in response to the one we sent. He also sent us some sunflower seeds to plant, and some new costumes (just what we were hoping for).

You should have received your January calendars just before the break, although my photocopying left something to be desired... Our High Park field trip is coming up early next week. I will post details, including what to send, a few days before. Volunteers should have received an email from me confirming your availability. If anything has changed, please get back to me. If anyone else would like to join us for the afternoon only, we can always use more grown-up bodies to keep track of the little bodies while we are out and about in the park.

One change to the calendar is that the presentation I am giving on the new kindergarten curriculum has been moved from this Thursday to next Wednesday evening. It is intended for parent council, but I'm sure anyone who's interested would be welcome. If you have been wondering about play-based education or are curious about the expectations and how we report on them, this presentation should be helpful.

Well, I don't know about you, but today felt absolutely summer-like, considering the temperatures we've endured this past week. It was wonderful to have some good packing snow for a change, and we did a ton of fun building outside this afternoon.

Dominique and I were pleased that many students came back ready to use the French words and phrases that they knew in December. We were afraid they would have forgotten! In addition, we can see that our students are becoming more and more ready to combine letter sounds, and are showing a strong interest in writing. This is perfect timing, as we have planned to begin our borrow-a-book program this month. I will explain this thoroughly in a future post. Stay tuned!