Friday 20 November 2015

Vision & Hearing Clinic Upcoming

Dear parents,

Today you are receiving information about an upcoming Vision and Hearing Clinic taking place at Dewson. If you find that your child doesn't answer you right away, has frequent headaches, or seems reluctant to practice reading, it could be that they are having trouble with their hearing or vision. If that's the case, a fairly simple fix could make a big difference.
If you are interested in having your child's vision and/or hearing tested, please return the registration form with payment ASAP. The clinic will take place on December 16th. You will receive a form shortly thereafter with the results.

Today I am also sending home the rubrics from Mlle Martinson's story project, with your child's future writing goal copied on the back. Please do not panic if you see a few level 1s and 2s circled. We were fairly tough markers on this one, and we really want to emphasize with the writers that there is always room for improvement. Everyone had a very cool story to share with the class and I'm super excited for the next big project which we will start soon. Please congratulate them on their hard work and presentation in front of the class and then ask them what they are going to work on in the next project! Apologies that the stories are not coming home at the same time (I realize it would be helpful to look at it and the rubric together)... currently they are hanging on the wall and students are enjoying reading them during silent reading time. Thanks also to Mlle Martinson for her hard work planning, teaching and assessing this entire project!

This morning we reviewed an oral story that I told the class yesterday and made our own illustrations for it using pastel and watercolour. Each student was responsible for illustrating a different part of the story the way they imagined it. They also wrote down what happens in their part of the story. Thanks so much to Mme Erika for helping us so much with this project! Please ask your storyteller what happens in the Cacahuète story!

In math, we have moved on from measurement for the time being and will now focus on patterning. Already I've been impressed about how much the kids know about colour, shape and size patterns. I had to put away some of the simpler activities I'd been planning and jump right into patterns with more than 1 attribute! Here we are creating our own patterns using colour, shape, size, sometimes even thickness! Ask your child to make a pattern at home. You can use anything to make a pattern, as long as you have lots of it. You can even make sound patterns just using your body!

Finally, I've heard from a couple parents that my blog is no longer sending out the automatic emails when I update. I'm very sorry about this. I've checked my settings, and from my end, everything looks as it should. I have an email into the blogspot helpdesk, so hopefully I can find the solution soon. In the meantime, know that I am still updating every couple days or so, so please check back regularly! Sorry for the inconvenience.

Have a great weekend,
Tamara