Thursday 25 June 2015

Congratulations New Grade 2s!



Dear families,

Thanks again for a great year. Thank you for all the gifts (you shouldn't have), thoughtful cards, and especially thanks to the students for writing in French! Oh, and Sadie! You're so sweet to think of her! She will love her treats and her new kongs.

I have heard from many letting me know that their child has had a great year and has been very happy at school. This is better than any gift - it's why I wanted to become a teacher. Thank you for sharing this with me and being so supportive of me throughout the year.

I hope your child shows you their framed certificate and that you notice how much our writing has changed since September (that sentence would have been copied from the board). On the back, behind the summer worksheets, there is a little note from me to you. Since I was not able to share my reflections with you via report cards (sorry about the nonsense), I really wanted to make sure I could send you a personal message in another way.

I did send home reading packages today with those who asked for them. I hope everyone is able to keep reading every day, even if it's not in French. Here are some other ideas if you have some unplanned time left in the summer:
- FRENCH PLAY DATES! There will probably need to be a reward for speaking in French the entire time, but they can do it!
- Turn everything into headache that only math can solve! How many freezies do we need? How many are in the package? Oh, more than we need? Can everyone have 2? How many will be left over? How much does it cost? Count out the money please. How much change did we get?
- Talk about the places you see in our community and elsewhere. We've never been in this building before. What is it used for? Are there other places like it? Who benefits from it? Is anyone excluded from using it? What if it wasn't here?
- Notice changes in the environment as you go on walks. What are animals doing at this time of year?
- Keep a JOURNAL! Have your student write one thing they do everyday. I'd love to read this in September if it's in French!!
- Watch French movies on rainy days (Kérity, maison des contes, Une vie de chat, Le petit Nicholas and Ernest et Célestine are great, but you can also find lots of Caillou on Youtube)
- Use the links on the blog. I guess I'll have to change the address eventually, but the blog will continue to be available at least for all of July. There's lots of good stuff on there!

The kids were super helpers today, we took everything off the walls and took two big loads up to Area 31. My job tomorrow is much more manageable now! The great thing about moving upstairs is that I didn't have to feel too sad today - I will see the kids EVERY day next year, and I hope I'll be in touch with you too.

If you haven't had a chance, do scroll down and read my thank you note to YOU.

Thanks again, and I wish you the BEST summer with your lovely families.
Tamara :)