Tuesday 6 April 2021

Virtual Learning

 Well, that was short-lived!

(A little bit regretting lugging all Wales' battery-powered toys to school today as examples of where items get their energy... that would have been a good at-home lesson...)

I'm glad we had today to do some fun stuff like acting out some skits (ask your actor what common school scenario they acted out the right way and the wrong way), working together to make a bar graph (diagramme a bandes) and sorting baby toys into their sources of energy. These activities were so fun for us, that about half our class was motivated to work on their own play at recess and perform it for the class at the end of the day, and students are excited about their own surveys that we started planning and will finish from home. They also loved Wales' toys and my other household items and were fantastic participants in sorting these. Please ask them to point out where your household items get their energy. Scratch that - I'll do it myself!

Today I also spent some time reading with individual students to try to determine their "perfect fit" reading level. Had the announcement come sooner, I would have made sure to get to everyone, but I thought I had tomorrow. Anyway, I am setting us up for RAZ kids, which is where our levels will be helpful. I will guestimate for those readers that I'm not sure about and we'll work from there. More details on how to complete the setup will come very soon!

I am busily planning and researching ways that I can make online learning fun and engaging, but I know it will never be the same as in-person. I have also heard from several of you about the challenges with technology, enthusiasm and ability to help. Please don't worry - we will all just do what we can, and that's enough. Hopefully it's just three days!

Here is the plan for the rest of this week:

Virtual Learning Schedule for the rest of this week:

mercredi, le 7 avril (jour 5)
8:30 - 10:45 - Attendance, Activites avec Mme Hutchinson
10:45 - 11:15 - Bienvenue avec Mme Mitchell
11:15 - 12:15 - Dejeuner (lunch)
12:15 - 1:30 -  Sciences avec Mme Mitchell 
1:30 - 1:45 - Pause ("recess" break)
1:45 - 2:15 - Jeux avec Mme Mitchell
2:15 - 3:00 - Asynchronous (I will suggest activities for this time)

jeudi, le 8 avril (jour 1) *PINK DAY* wear your pink!
8:30 - 9:45 - Attendance, Francais avec Mme Mitchell
9:45 - 10:00 - Pause (break)
10:00 - 10:45 - Maths avec Mme Mitchell
10:45 - 11:15 - Asynchronous (I will suggest activities for this time)
11:15 - 12:15 - Dejeuner (lunch)
12:15 - 1:30 -  Sciences avec Mme Mitchell 
1:30 - 1:45 - Pause (break)
1:45 - 2:15 - Jeux avec Mme Mitchell
2:15 - 3:00 - Asynchronous (I will suggest activities for this time)

vendredi, le 9 avril (jour 2)
8:30 - 9:45 - Attendance, Francais avec Mme Mitchell
9:45 - 10:00 - Pause (break)
10:00 - 10:45 - Maths avec Mme Mitchell
10:45 - 11:15 - Asynchronous (I will suggest activities for this time)
11:15 - 12:15 - Dejeuner (lunch)
12:15 - 2:30 -  Activites avec Mme Hutchinson
2:30 - 3:00 - Dance Party avec Mme Mitchell!

Happy April Break! See you on the 19th!

Please be sure you have the correct Meet link, and are not using Mme Tatiana's old one. Students have an invitation to my Google Classroom in their TDSB email, and the link is posted clearly in there. Mme Hutchinson will be live with you tomorrow morning at 8:30 and I will see you at 10:45.

Thank you, parents, for all your help getting set up at home - we appreciate you!!

Tamara