Friday 20 December 2019

Happy Holidays!

Dear families,
I have really enjoyed my first 4 months in grade 5/6! I feel lucky to have such a wonderful group to work with this year.

We celebrated the holidays today by baking cookies and with our White Elephant gift exchange. We worked in teams to make 5 kinds of cookies and had a great time in the game!

Thank you SO much for the thoughtful and generous cards, gifts and classroom supplies. I hope the kids enjoy the book I chose for them and perhaps even decide to read it! I hope you are able to take a break from all your commitments over the next 2 weeks and enjoy some family time and get some much needed rest!

Thanks to some possible bonus points on our patterning quiz the other day, many students scored over 100%, and nobody achieved less than a level 3. Because I know there will be no concerns over these marks, I'm not bothering to send this quiz home for signature, but please ask about it - I know the students are pretty happy about it!

I have also finished marking our first science projects, which included many different components. I have not given an overall mark, as some elements will contribute to our English language mark, and others to science. I have not asked the kids to bring this home either, but they certainly may if you are curious. It should, however, be returned and kept in their binder so that we can refer to it later in order to make improvements on future similar projects.

We've been matched up with our reading buddies in Mme Potor's grade 2/3 class. Please ask your student who they will be reading with! We've begun discussing strategies for helping beginning readers, such as:
- showing enthusiasm (even if it means being an actor sometimes!)
- smiling
- asking about themselves, speaking only in French
- pointing to the words
- asking about the pictures or meaning of words
- listening to reading and gently correcting pronunciation
- reading to the student
Our students were very sweet and encouraging with their buddies on our first day. Here's what it looked like...

Happy Everything! See you in 2020!