Monday 17 June 2019

Thank YOU!

Dear parents,
Thank you for coming to our classroom concert and open-house last Friday. It was great to see the kids proudly showing you around and answering your questions, and I was so pleased with the kids' performance. If you couldn't make it, here are a few pics. I'll also try to send a few videos out via email, but I'm sure others got better ones.

We also hope the papas received their little tomato plant. We recently learned that group M were the space tomatoes! As it turns out, more seeds from group L actually grew into plants, and this was the case across the country, for other classes that tested L and M. We concluded that since seeds are from Earth, maybe they should stay on Earth. Another result from this experiment was that most students chose to gift you an Earth tomato plant... for safety reasons! The message is based on one of our favourite books about a little bunny and his dad. Ask your writer what they say in the book. Happy Fathers' Day!

Mlle Jade had a couple special activities for us on Friday afternoon, including treating us with freezies. Merci Mlle Jade!

Today, we were invited to go to the gym to join in the Raptors celebration as much as we were able. We watched the festivities on the big screen for a time, but it got a little loud...

... So we came back for quiet time and I played Appleletters with club de lecture rose. This was one of our green bag activities, and would be a good one to play this summer, using any letters you have (Scrabble, magnets, Bingo). Simple compile a list of simple French words (you could find old words of the week on this blog) and put a word in the centre to start. Each player adds a word that they can connect to an existing letter. See how big you can get your crossword!

We have a few other special events this week, including a Pride flag raising event before school tomorrow and storytelling in the afternoon. (I'm sure you've received emails about this, please feel free to join us.) Wednesday we have a dairy presentation and our LAST visit with our reading buddies, and Friday we're going to the park! In and around all that, we are also doing a little more writing - including a letter to our next teacher... whoever that is. We're also waiting for a sunny day to do one last science experiment that will help answer the last question we wrote down about the Earth. We already gathered some good info from a book though. Answering these big questions that our kids have has been both a challenge and a joy this year. It's another thing you can do at home... write down those burning questions and help your child figure out the answers. We have found answers in books, on excellent YouTube videos, and through clever experiments (thanks Google and Pinterest!).

Around this time, I always start reflecting on the year that has past. This one seems to have gone by so quickly, especially the past few months. Despite having some very helpful future teachers with us much of the time, it hasn't always been easy having the mini-class on my own. There have been plenty of times when 2 or 3 or all 15 needed me at the same time, and I wished I could do better. But, I also know that I have been able to do more with this group and I feel they are well prepared for grade 1. They are all quite strong in their letter recognition and beginning number sense, understand most spoken French and have been introduced to all the strands and subjects they will encounter next year. Let's try to retain as much as we can over the long summer months by playing games in French, reading every day (in French when possible), watching French TV or movies (ask me for suggestions) and reviewing the words of the week (which you can find on this blog), as much as possible. The game above, or hangman are great, fun ways of doing this. 

I also want to extend my heartfelt thanks to YOU, the parents and families. I have been lucky to work with amazing parents every year at Dewson. I appreciate so much your communication, your willingness to speak with me and work constructively at problem solving, your involvement in school life and the time you put in talking about school and doing those activities with your kids at home. That time shows the kids that education is fun, and something that you value. As a result, they feel the same. What you do, and your positive attitude, makes my job much easier, and I am grateful.

Don't forget that report cards are coming home on the last day of school this year, so you won't have a chance to ask me questions. There are no surprises in there, but if you would like to speak to me in person, please email me ASAP so that we can find a time.

See you soon,
Tamara